“Field service” is used to group together the variety of nonprofit organizations that support arts organizations. Providing technical assistance, professional membership, research, and resource development help are critical supports for a county’s nonprofit arts community. Organizations like these tend to cluster more in larger communities, where there is a bigger pool of nonprofits to work with. This indicator measures the number of field service arts organizations in the following NTEE groups for every 100,000 county residents.
- A02 Management & Technical Assistance
- A03 Professional Societies & Associations
- A05 Research Institutes and/or Public Policy Analysis
- A11 Single Organization Support
- A12 Fundraising and/or Fund Distribution
- A19 Nonmonetary Support Not Elsewhere Classified
- A26 Arts Council/Agency
- A90 Arts Service Activities/ Organizations
Data come from the 2012 Core Files from the National Center for Charitable Statistics.
Additional Information: Counties with indicator value = 1,176. Average county indicator value = 4.43. Median county indicator value = 2.54.
Fast Facts from the Arts Index
We share with the world!
International arts exports increase: U.S. exports of arts goods increased from $56 to $64 billion between 2009 and 2010 (+12%). With U.S. imports at just $23 billion, the arts achieved a $41 billion trade surplus in 2010. The percentage of international travelers that include the arts on their visits to the U.S. has increased annually since 2003.