“Field service” is used to group together the variety of nonprofit organizations that support arts organizations. Providing technical assistance, professional membership, research, and resource development help are critical supports for a county’s nonprofit arts community. Organizations like these tend to cluster more in larger communities, where there is a bigger pool of nonprofits to work with. This indicator measures the number of field service arts organizations in the following NTEE groups for every 100,000 county residents.
- A02 Management & Technical Assistance
- A03 Professional Societies & Associations
- A05 Research Institutes and/or Public Policy Analysis
- A11 Single Organization Support
- A12 Fundraising and/or Fund Distribution
- A19 Nonmonetary Support Not Elsewhere Classified
- A26 Arts Council/Agency
- A90 Arts Service Activities/ Organizations
Data come from the 2012 Core Files from the National Center for Charitable Statistics.
Additional Information: Counties with indicator value = 1,176. Average county indicator value = 4.43. Median county indicator value = 2.54.
Fast Facts from the Arts Index
Audiences are growing!
In 2010, 32 percent of the adult population attended a performing arts event (up from 28 percent in 2009); 13 percent visited an art museum (up slightly from 12 percent). These are the first increases since 2003.